Middlesbrough 0-0 Southampton: Saints boss Tonda Eckert walks out of post-match press conference after refusing to answer ‘spygate’ questions | Football News

[ad_1]

Southampton manager Tonda Eckert walked out of a tetchy post-match press conference following his side’s 0-0 draw with Middlesbrough after refusing to answer questions related to ‘spygate’.

Southampton were charged with a breach of EFL regulations after a member of staff was alleged to have spied on Middlesbrough’s training ahead of their play-off tie.

Sky Sports News understands Boro staff spotted a man taking pictures and videos of training and approached him.

He was asked to delete them, provide his identity and his intentions for being there, at which point he is said to have fled to a nearby indoor part of the training complex.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Tonda Eckert and Kim Hellberg both fielded questions about the alleged ‘spygate’ incident ahead of the crucial play-off semi-final between Middlesbrough and Southampton.

Eckert faced multiple questions on the situation but refused to answer beyond the club statement last night.

He did state that he didn’t believe the controversy impacted the players, saying: “I don’t think so. We have to give credit to a good team, they have quality on the ball. You need to accept that this point of the season you come up against teams that are very good. Compliment to the boys for getting away with a clean sheet.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Highlights of the Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Semi-Final first leg match between Middlesbrough and Southampton.

Eckert also denied that it had been a frosty handshake with Middlesbrough boss Kim Hellberg pre-match, before adding: “I have said more than enough. The questions keep coming up but the club have made a statement yesterday evening and that is all there is to say.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Sky Sports reporter Keith Downie admits he noticed Middlesbrough staff members studying CCTV footage on Friday after a Southampton staff member was allegedly spying on their training.

The club press officer stepped in and said Eckert would not be answering any more questions unless they were about Tuesday’s second leg. When the next question about ‘spygate’ landed, they walked out together.

Hellberg: Someone made the decision to cheat

Speaking after the stalemate, Boro boss Hellberg pulled no punches in his assessment of the incident.

“I couldn’t believe my eyes or ears. Couldn’t believe it when I was told a second time, or third,” the Swede said.

“It’s quite clear that they – and I don’t mean the players or fans of Southampton, I think they are brilliant and gave nothing to do with it – but someone has made a decision to cheat.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Middlesbrough fans gave their players a huge welcome as they arrived at the Riverside Stadium ahead of their Championship play-off semi-final first leg against Southampton.

“We were trying to focus on the session as much as we could, we had an important game. I’ve seen some saying it’s not a big advantage but it is. Take today for example. We have never used that first-half shape before, that was impossible to know. It’s just unfair, and I think everyone in this room agrees.

“I feel anger, but there has to be respect too between each other that they have totally failed in. I think it’s disappointing because it’s a big game. They tried to get an advantage in an unfair way.

“Who would get the fine? Should they pay it to the EFL? Okay. So they see everything we do, and…we will see what happens, I don’t know. I just think it’s weird they try to cheat in this type of game. Didn’t Bielsa pay £200,000 when it wasn’t a law? I think a lot of clubs would pay that amount to try and get the advantage two days before a game.

“You don’t do this, you don’t plan to do this. Every team in the Championship should be angry. It is wrong, it is wrong!”

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply