At least 60 people were killed on Friday in a head-on collision between two buses in Ghana, police have said.
It is the latest deadly crash on the country’s roads.
Survivors of the crash told rescuers the driver of one of the buses had been feeling sleepy before the crash but refused to take a break.
They said they shattered the vehicle’s windows and escaped with just seconds to spare before flames took hold with other passengers still inside.
The accident happened in the Bono East region, some 430 kilometres north of the capital, Accra.
“The vehicles were travelling in separate directions when the collision occurred,” police commander Joseph Antwi Gyawu told AFP.
“At least 60 people have been confirmed dead and one of the buses caught fire, with the other seriously mangled,” he added.
The buses were each carrying about 50 passengers at the time of the crash.
Emergency services were at the scene, including firefighters who put out the blazing vehicles, which were still smouldering hours after the crash.
Kwame Arhin, a doctor at the Kintampo Government Hospital, said 28 people were being treated for head injuries and multiple fractures.
“Seven out of the 28 passengers who were rushed here are in critical condition,” he added.
Ghana’s Vice-President Mahamudu Bawumia said action was required to prevent such accidents.
“As a country we need to put in place appropriate measures to drastically reduce the occurrence of such mishaps,” he wrote on his Twitter account.
“We wish the injured speedy recovery and may the souls of the departed rest in perfect peace.”
The crash has renewed calls for the authorities to enforce traffic rules to reduce deaths and injuries on the country’s poorly-maintained road networks.
An average of six people die on the roads every day, according to the Motor Transport and Traffic Directorate (MTTD) of Ghana police.